Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009!

Happy New Year!

Last night, when we were out for dinner, my daughter texted me to take notice of the beautiful moon and the bright planet near it. I told the others at the table, but they were busy deciding on the menu and no one heard me. I couldn't wait to see. When we left, the sky was crisp and clear and there it was, in all its glory. A beautiful display. Looking at http://www.earthsky.org/ this morning, this is what they have to say:

"Moon and Venus couple up on New Year's Eve. The two brightest celestial bodies after the sun - the waxing crescent moon and the planet Venus - pair up together this New Year's Eve. You'll see them in your southwest sky at dusk and early evening. The attractive evening couple will set about 4 hours after sunset."

2 comments:

Doris said...

Oh...I was looking at the moon, I should have stepped out into the night and looked a little bit further!

butterfly woman said...

Oh, how neat that your daughter let you know about this beauty of nature.A nice text to receive for sure. I realize that I was over by Walts Foods and looked West. Frank pointed to the sky, the beautiful oranges of sunset, the sliver of the moon and Venus shining brightly. I did see it, enjoyed it, but didn't realize just how special it was till later when you shared it here!