Sunday, January 22, 2012

backgrounds for a new collage


Three canvases and I decided to try three different applications on them to inspire my class on Wednesday, for those with the "blank canvas syndrome".  The first one, above, I applied (poured on) three acrylic washes, rolled them around a bit, then laid a sheet of cling wrap on top and left it there to dry overnight.  It makes its own "paths" and this was the result after I removed the cling wrap this morning when it was completely dry.  Very texture-y.


This one, I learned from Laura.  I spritzed the canvas with water and then squeezed on the two dark colors of thicker acrylics.  While wet, I laid on the cling wrap and smooshed it around to cover the surface and to mix the colors together a bit.  I removed the cling wrap, added some white and smooshed again.  Removing the cling wrap again, I spritzed around the edges and let it run to soften those hard edges.  The green was probably too thick in the front and I probably should have spritzed it more with water, but when i start collaging on top of it, that will break it up and it will be just fine.  I actually think I like this one the best.


On this one, I again began with spritzing the canvas with water, then applying tube paint acrylics; all three colors at the same time.  Then laid the cling wrap on top and smooshed it around.  Then I picked up the cling wrap, repositioned it and smooshed around again.  The paint was thick, so when i removed the cling wrap this time, I stamped into the wet paint with bubble wrap to give that texture.  I then spritzed the edges and let the paint run a little to soften those edges of the painted areas. 

Now to collage!

1 comment:

purplehatartist said...

I love all 3 of these, April. The clingwrap really adds texture. I will have to try this one.