Friday, April 30, 2010

It's Friday!

I knew it was coming and I missed it! The full moon on Wednesday. The Full Pink Moon. The name, according to the Farmers' Almanac, came from the herb moss pink or wild ground phlox, which is one of the earliest widespread flowers of spring. Other names for this moon are the Full Sprouting Grass Moon, the Egg Moon, and, among costal tribes, the Full Fish Moon because this was the time that the shad swam upstream to spawn.

Again...where did this month go? Today, poetry classes. This morning "Understanding Poetry" at St. Xavier's Renanissance Program. The theme of the class,"aging", must have influenced this poem that I wrote last week.

Unknowing

The minutes tick on
With no compassion
Selfishly concerned
With their own timely fashion.

Days dissolve
Like sugar in tea
As I try to lengthen
Each moment with me.

Weeks whisk away
They're in such a hurry!
Barely aware of me
Not seeming to worry.

And one into another
All the years meld
While I grasp to hoard
Each memory held.

As these thoughts I encounter
I stop often and wonder
What's left of them -
What is the number?
by me

3 comments:

Laura said...

So right to the point in a very peaceful way...I totally relate to your poem April...and love it too. good feelings expressed in it.

Doris said...

What ever happened to April, April?

Suz said...

Oh APril..I have been thinking the same thing...thanks for putting it into a poem
nice