Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Carvings...

Getting back to Maryland, I wanted to show you Chuck's woodcarving studio.  It's a wonderful, creative place to be.  I know my woodcarving friends will be interested to see!

Here he is at work.  Chuck enjoys "relief" carving and I think he is a master at it.  Every piece is a treasure.  Relief carving is where figures are carved in a flat panel of wood.

The process involves removing wood from the flat panel in such a way that an object appears to rise out of the wood.

It begins with a design idea, usually put to paper in the form of a master pattern, which is then transferred to the wood surface.

 Beautiful scenes. 

Some painted.

 Some stained.

 I am lucky enough to have one of his plates hanging in my home.

 His reference drawing hangs on the wall as he carves out the scene.

 Some of his finished pieces hanging in their home.

and wonderful Santas on the mantle.

4 comments:

J (uk) said...

Lovely to see these carvings and to catch a glimpse of the man behind them. I particularly like the stained pieces, what a talent :)

Doris said...

Fantastic!

Robin said...

What wonderful carvings!!! Love the covered bridge!!

butterfly woman said...

Love the carving process. You gave us a great behind the scenes storytelling and pictures of a woodcarver's life.
Bet Keith will love this!