Drawing class this morning and a beautful day it was! Our first chance to experience plein air. I sat by a big tree with purple trillium growing all around it in a ring. The nasty gnats were nonstop though! For today, I made "Frosted Lemon Bars". A first-time recipe and didn't know how they would be, but they were delish!
Frosted Lemon Bars
2 cups corn flakes cereal, crushed to 1 cup (I used Special K)
1 cup flour
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 Tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1-1/2 cups shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
1 Tablespoon lemon juice (may need a little more)
1. Crust: Combine corn flakes, flour, brown sugar and butter; mix well. Press evenly in 13x9x2 pan. Bake at 275 for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. Bars: Mix together the 2 Tablespoons flour and 1/4 t salt. Set aside.
3. Combine eggs, brown sugar, coconut and vanilla in bowl; beat well. Add flour-salt mixture and nuts; mix well. Spread over baked crust.
4. Return to oven and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until bars are lightly browned.
5. Icing: Combine powdered sugar, melted butter and lemon juice; beat until smooth. After bars are baked and still warm, frost with icing. Cool and cut into bars.