Friday, July 24, 2009

Lurie Garden at Millennium Park

It was a most beautiful day yesterday for our plein air art session. We packed up and met at the Lurie Garden. What an interesting place! One of our artists, Ann, is also a tour guide there and so we had our own personal gift of information. The sight of "Purpurlanze", with the city as a backdrop, is truly awesome.
More than half of the plants in the Lurie Garden are native.

"City in a Garden. A unique combination of spatial structure, plantings and lighting design, the garden celebrates Chicago and its landscape." Lurie Garden Guide

"The interior of the Lurie Garden is composed of two adjacent plates that appear to rise from the surface of the plaza. The two plates are divided by a wooden boardwalk called the Seam, which is suspended over water." Lurie Garden Guide

The beautiful Day Lily. This one is called "Gentle Shepherd". A perfect name.

This is the view I decided to draw. I love the little handmade twig corner fences and the lovely garden against the buildings of the city.

The Anemone hupehensis "Splendens" is an old friend of mine. I first saw it in Door County and I think it's one of most graceful and beautiful flowers ever.

The time for drawing and painting was up and it was time for lunch and the critique. Lois helps us with ideas and encouragement to finish our artwork.

We found a great little shady spot where we could all sit around and listen.

We were anxious to see what everyone else had done.

It was a wonderfully peaceful place and the sounds of the traffic in the distance seemed far, far away.

A good time was had and a full day for us artists...

5 comments:

purplehatartist said...

What a wonderful adventure! I just love Millenium Park. I think it would be difficult to find just one "scene" to paint out of all the possibilities. I love the scene you chose; can't wait to see it.

Elena said...

Cool pictures! Can't wait to see your creative interpretation of the flower. Sorry I couldn't make this one as we were still on the road.

butterfly woman said...

Great photos April,
I love those pink flowers (coneflowers) against the Chicago skyscrapers.
I chuckle at the photo of Denise at the end there. Now is art relaxing or what!
Yep, can't wait to see how you create your own image.
I wanted to come to this one, Chicago is so divine, but circumstances prevented me.
Glad you can share for those who didn't go!
Bev

Audrey said...

I love Lois' hat!

Doris said...

What a wonderful garden. I'm quite impressed with the Lurie Family's contributions to all of Chicago!