Sunday, July 5, 2009

This bloomin' thing!

My "goldfish plant" has not bloomed in a long time, probably a year or two. It rests. It is characterized by these bright orange flowers radiating from it's glossy green foliage. The flowers looking like orange goldfish gives the plant its name. I have had it for several years. Had never heard of it before and don't remember where I got it, but it blooms "goldfish"! It's scientific name is Nematanthus wettsteinii and it is in the same family as African violets. It's a cutie, isn't it?

4 comments:

Laura said...

Love the surprises like that, My alovera (sp) did that to me every other year it looks like a Yucca bloom.

Suz said...

That's pretty close to a red flower

april said...

It looks just like a goldfish, fins and all.

Doris said...

How Dr. Seuss!