Saturday, February 7, 2009

Saturday's Child

This morning's project was doll-making. Danielle picked out the buttons for the eyes and nose and then she picked from some yarn I had for the hair. I read that "a child making a doll can be equated to an adult artist making a figurative sculpture. Doll-making is an excellent venue for helping children's creativity flow. The most artistic aspect of this project is the ideas you come up with to give your doll an interesting personality." This is only the start and we will continue when she is back during the week. She giggled through the whole time. I think the doll did too.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Old World meets new generation. What a blessing your granddaughter has in you that you share this time. With instint gradification of purchasing a doll verses making your very own. A lot of teaching going on.
~v~Laura

april said...

Love the traditional handcrafts.

butterfly woman said...

I'm giggling at the doll too. What a wonderful beam of light Danielle is and of course vise versa with you too April. Those words about doll making for a child is like adult doing sculpture very interesting to me. Do you remember the article it's from? Would like to read more. Can't wait to hear about more giggles and see more photos of doll progression! Neat!

april said...

It's from an article in a magazine called "Art and Activities" from 2007. Got some old ones from a library. I will show you.

Doris said...

What a great project! I believe we were supposed to create a doll in Sound of Paper? I did download a dried apple doll instructions for another day! Reminds me of the whimsical dolls at Naperville Riverwalk Show. So very tempting, I had to tell Laura she could make her own!