Saturday, February 28, 2009

Cupcake collage

Using my photograph as a reference for a collage...

And using a piece of mat board, I began with a simple sketch

and then just blocked in color with acrylic paint

Then I gathered papers that satisfied the colors I wanted to use and began layering

and layering, coating both sides of the papers with medium as I went along

and layering and layering, trying to create a painterly effect

and now I will add a little more detail to the candle flames and put a finishing coat over all. Almost done.

6 comments:

Doris said...

Absolutely love it! Although I gave up sweets, great to see it's progress!

purplehatartist said...

April! These look good enough to eat! Love them. How can I get into one of your classes?

april said...

haha! thanks gals!

Laura said...

This is wonderful April, I see you wheels spinning now and the class will jump on this I think the artist hmmm what is his name.. Wayne Thiebaud paints cakes and stuff like this. You should check him out of you need a reference for class. But it seems your on your way girl. Oh do play with this direction some more, I love that you draw it out, painted and then collaged it. Your explore side of you that are wonderful to see.

:)

butterfly woman said...

Ah, April,
I want to blow out those candles and make a wish for your continued creative joy. I can just feel your fun side coming out as you create these cupcakes.And I love how you are incorporating a more painterly aspect. Bet Danielle will love them too. I want to see this cupcake piece in real life.

Suz said...

Deep inside I know the teacher part of you is firing on all cylinders! You're gooood,April!