Friday, October 16, 2009

Those Autumn Leaves

The leaves on my backyard maple are finally turning. Yesterday, when I got home from art class, I could not resist picking a few to paint. All of a sudden they will all be red and I love the varied colors they are now too.

When the autumn leaves start swirling, I always hear a song in my head. The song that was so popular in the 50's; made popular by Roger Williams. In 1955, his beautiful piano instrumental was number one.

Originally it was a 1945 French song "Les feuilles mortes" ("The Dead Leaves") with music by Joseph Kosma and lyrics by poet Jacques Prevert. In 1947, Johnny Mercer wrote the English lyrics.
The falling leaves drift by my window
The falling leaves of red and gold
I see your lips, the summer kisses
The sunburned hands I used to hold.
Since you went away the days grow long
And soon I'll hear old winter's song
But I miss you most of all, my darling
When autumn leaves start to fall.

5 comments:

Suz said...

Wow I need to try this
so pretty

Miki Willa said...

Beautiful leaves. Thanks for posting the lyrics to this beautiful song. I, too, think of it this time of year.

Audrey said...

The song sure brought back memories of my youth. Thanks for lighting up my day.

april said...

Sure was one of my favorites.

Doris said...

Gorgeous colors!