Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Out for the day...


The report says 6 degrees F. this morning at 6 a.m. It feels frigid. Yesterday, after I got a much-needed haircut, hubby and I had a nice ride out to Westmont to drop off a piece of artwork to Eve, a piece of hers' that is mine now, but she is exhibiting it in the Mayslake Peabody Estate exhibit next week. And we got a chance to see "Max" and the new puppy "Molly". What a sweetheart! Hubby always likes that ride because it is a good excuse to have lunch at Bohemian Crystal. We had Roast Pork - Grandma Style, chunky roast pork prepared the old-fashioned way. And they have the best sweet and sour cabbage and sauerkraut. He, dumplings. Me, boiled potatoes. Back home, no supper that night, and even brought home a doggy bag. Later, I finished the book for "Bookies" book club. "The Art Of Racing In The Rain". Usually, I am speed reading the morning of, but this book caught me. Maybe it's the author, Garth Stein. He writes short chapters, which seem to get me through a book easier (even when there's a thousand other things on my mind), and it was enjoyable easy reading with deep messages throughout. And, being a dog-lover, I was attached right from the start. Couldn't stop reading. Even though it's not time to talk about the book until the book club meeting, I have to say "Sue...I loved your pick"!
Mayslake Peabody Estate Exhibit
Midwest Collage Society
"Memory"
1717 W. 31st Street
Oak Brook, IL
January 12th - March 6th
Opening Reception, Saturday January 16th, 4-6 pm
Closing Reception, Saturday March 6th, 1-3 pm

4 comments:

Suz said...

April..I was worried you would hate it...but it was so good and spoke of life
Bobbie hated it I think
What do you think your precious Clifford is doing now?
I'll bet he's a painter! :)
comforting isn't it

april said...

Yes, comforting. I love the end, which, even though he talks about it throughout the book, was an aha moment. I will be looking for Clifford now. Yes, he's something with paper. He loved paper.

Doris said...

Ooh. Now I'm very curious!

purplehatartist said...

That was all I needed to get this book! I've looked at it a couple of times, being a dog lover myself. Now I think I'll have to get it.